Google Site Search

Google
 

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Second meeting with Kim Cameron

I was fortunate to hear a keynote speech by Kim Cameron, Identity Guru from Microsoft at the Computer Security Institute (CSI) 2007. I sat in the first row.

Why Cyberspace Needs Cardspace

He gave an excellent introduction to how the concept of CardSpace evolved, the utopian Passport initiative and the need for an Identity Metasystem.

At the end of the session, I went over to Kim. He did not recognize me right away but when I mentioned "JBoss", he remembered our first meeting at the Burton Catalyst Conference in June.

What do I like about Kim Cameron:
a) He is honest about what his intentions about an Identity Metasystem are.
b) He has a blog (http://identityblog.com) that runs on a Linux stack and WordPress (It was his way of reaching out to the OSS community).
c) He generated the 7 Laws of Identity which summarize the space of IDM and its needs accurately.

I do agree with Kim that we really really need an Identity Metasystem rather than the myriad of specifications/standards around it.

No comments: